Reuse, repair or donate products.
Reuse, repair or donate products instead of just throwing them away when you are finished with them.
Many products that we throw away could be re-used for other purposes or donated for others to use. If something is truly unusable for its original purpose, try to think of how else it might be used. When you can no longer use a product, consider giving it to charity. Reusing products, when possible, is even better than recycling because the item does not need to be reprocessed before it can be used again, which saves both energy and natural resources.
Here are some easy ways to reuse:
- Use a mug or glass instead of disposable cups.
- Use reusable water bottles rather than disposable plastic bottles.
- Reuse plastic and paper bags from the store or bring your own canvas bag.
- Buy rechargeable batteries instead of disposable, one-time-use batteries.
- Borrow, rent or share items that are used infrequently.
- Donate your used or surplus building materials including appliances, hardware, kitchen cabinets, bathroom fixtures, etc.
- Where possible, repair worn shoes, boots, handbags, briefcases, watches and electronics.
Many of your gently used items can be reused.
- Clothes Donation – If you have old clothes, consider donating them to local charity.
– Christian Center of Park City Thrift Shoppe, 435-649-2260
– Saint Lawrence Thrift Store, Heber, 435-657-0209
– Big Brothers, Big Sisters of Utah, BBBS.org
- Clothes Resale – Resell your gently used clothes in consignment stores and stop in to see if you can get some bargains of your own.
- Used and Surplus Building Supplies – If you are remodeling your home check out the Construction Thrift Store at Recycle Utah, 435-649-9698.
- Used Books – donate your old books to our local libraries.
- Consider ‘freecycling’ your old items – giving them away for free. Park City Green.org has a number of places listed where you can go to give away your things, and maybe even pick up something new for you in the process:
– Freecycle, Park City Green.org