Making a real difference in our society is more than just “liking” a post on Facebook that proposes action, or commenting at the bottom of an article we read online. Making a real difference involves action – get off your butt kind of action, action that may be uncomfortable at first. Sitting in the safety of our homes in front of our screens clicking the “like” button isn’t action. It is time to do something real.
Although it may seem that we have little or no impact, every small action adds up. And when many people come together with these small steps, hugs impacts can be felt and big changes made. So every action, every contribution, every single step we take to make things better for all makes a difference.
So instead of feeling paralyzed (like I know we all do right now), do something either individually or collectively to bring about positive change.
Here are some great first steps to make a difference:
- VOTE, VOTE, VOTE. We have the power to change what goes on in our government by simply voting.
- Understand the issues. Be knowledgeable about what is going on in the world and the things people are doing to change it.
- Find groups to be involved with. If politics are what you want to change, then get involved. Run for office, help a candidate campaign, donate to causes you believe in. If homelessness is a concern of yours then volunteer at the homeless shelter. Do something.
- Stop complaining and do something. Again, it is so easy to post comments, “like” things on Facebook or just sit around and gripe about the state of the world with our friends. Well, that get nothing accomplished. Take the time and energy you would have used complaining and use it to do something positive. Actions are the most effective ways to make changes.
- Lead the way. Don’t wait for someone else to make the changes or take the initiative, get up and do it yourself and let others follow.
- Start. Making a difference can seem daunting but if everyone chips in, then changes are made. It isn’t the size of the contribution you make, it is the fact that you are doing it. So just start.
In the turbulent world we live in, it is more important than ever to take a stand for what we believe. It is too easy to bury our heads in the sand, get caught up in our own lives, or chose to ignore the big problems we face. Without our own personal actions, these daunting issues will become huge. We all have the power to bring about meaningful change in the world, even if it is just our immediate world. We also have the responsibility to take action. JUST START.